Thursday, January 14, 2010

Reading List for January and Beyond

Some of these are already in my possession, patiently waiting to be cracked open after I read the longest book ever. No, not War and Peace. It's merely The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins. I started it over a month ago and I (if I am lucky) read about 4 pages every night. I can't stop now, since I'm finally getting to the part where we find who took that infernal jewel. Anyway, I'm feeling list-y and this will help me organize.

Rabbit Redux
by John Updike--I read the first Rabbit book last summer and whew. It was definitely a glum read, but oh-so-good.

The Rings of My Tree: A Lativan Woman's Journe
y by Jane Cunningham--The story of my grandmothers, right here.

The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall--if I want to be a children's librarian, I should be well-versed in the current lit. Who am I kidding? I just like to read children's books.

And speaking of children's books, we are in LOVE with...Around the World with Mouk by Marc Boutavant. So. Amazingly. Good.

Where I'm Calling From by Raymond Carver--I have this book and haven't read it for about 20 years, so it might be time for a reread.

The Man Who Was Thursday
by GK Chesterton

The Motorcycle Diaries by Che Guevara

The Bolter by Frances Osborne--Sounds like a seriously fun read for me. As Kidlet says, "Mama loves 'old timey'."

What's on your nightstand? Read any good books lately?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh I love lists like these because they give me such good ideas! Thank you! I am reading The Vampire Lestat. My sister bought me The Vampire Chronicles - the first 3 books in the Anne Rice series, and I am loving them (you know how I love my vampires!). But, I fall asleep with the book in my hand every night. There just aren't enough hours in the day.

Barbara C. said...

Hi, I read The Moonstone in high school and simply must reread. Also want to read his Women in White. Right now I'm reading The Little Giant of Aberdeen County and Cakes and Ale--I recommend both. The former is a current book that appears to be sort of a coming of age and the later a book of Maugham from the 1930's...sigh, I love old books!

likeschocolate said...

Haven't heard of any of these books! I will have to look into them.

raining sheep said...

You just made me realize that I have not read anything for a long long time! I have been too busy either knitting or taking photos in my bit of spare time.