Thursday, December 13, 2007

The Rush to Quiet

I'm feeling the wheels spinning faster and faster, pushing me toward the holiday and I'm trying to find quietude wherever I can. Now when I get into the car after I drop Kidlet at school, I turn off the radio and drive in silence, hoping to calm my mind from its endless litany of 'to-do's'. Late at night, after everyone else has gone to bed, I work at my desk, listening to the sound of the heater kicking on and off and tinny classical music coming from my laptop. I admire my tidy seaming. I pop a treat into my mouth. I am making progress. I awaken in the morning and the 'to-do's' crowd my head once again and I think up more projects I'd like to do ("Oh no! Kidlet says she wants a baby doll? How will I pull that off?"). I'm looking forward to meeting the night with yarn and needle in hand.

Now back to the list-making...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful words to describe the frenzy of this time. enjoy those quiet moments, friend.

Unknown said...

Here's one way to pull off the baby doll request. This time of year can be so stressful. It sounds like you have a handle on it. Happy Weekend!

*camerashymomma* said...

beautiful post! i am also feeling the surge of everything last minute. i'm glad you find silence and peace in the car.