Monday, March 16, 2009

This is the post where you can tell I'm tired and grumpy

Whew. Busy weekend but not much to show for it but a full belly. I wanted to take a photo of the soup I was making this morning, split pea with leeks and dill. It was such a beautiful range of greens but I know from experience that trying to take a photo of a pot of steaming ingredients proves rather difficult.

This is the start of Birthday Week 2009, aka The Big Five. This means this mama will be a busy bee: finishing up the doll that I have knit for the small birthday person, lining up decorations and goodie bags, making lists upon lists.

The doll. Oh, the doll. I used this pattern and I'm wishing I had made one before I started making this one for a special occasion. I spent 2+ hours on her hair Friday night, redoing it three times. It still is as wonky as it could possibly be but it is what it is. It makes me feel a bit of a failure, like I'm less of a good mama for not taking it apart and doing it over but there just isn't enough time. I made an elaborate set of notes for myself for the point in time where I either make a new doll or abscond with this one once Kidlet has tossed it aside (probably 10 minutes after she opens it, as this is the fate of all knitted toys I give to her). The doll body itself came out pretty well although it's strange to me that the pattern asks you to knit in the round divided over two dpn's as opposed to three, making for some unusual stitch tension issues. I finally used my better judgment and put the doll on three needles. All that's left is knitting the body of the dress and embroidering the face. I'm trying to tell myself it's charming. I'll post a photo once she sees the light of day.

I am trying to keep the smell of the air as I left the house this morning (cool and slightly damp) and the amazing clouds in my mind. It feels like an early spring day. Hope you have a nice pot of something warm and comforting on the stove and are finding signs of spring...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The doll IS charming. Don't sell yourself short! She is going to be adorable and Kidlet will love her. :)

It is a nice day, isn't it?

Bean said...

what a cute pattern, I can't wait to see yours! (and I bet she's lovely!!) my fingers hate knitting, I will never get the hang of it <3

Vanessa/NessieNoodle said...

That is a cute doll- don't beat yourself up to hard over it- I like to find the perfection in the imperfection, ya know? She is going to love it I am sure!

jane said...

The doll looks really cute - I´m sure it will be a great success!! Have a great week! Mmmm birthday cake!