Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Corner View...Beach


While we live about 4.5 hours from an ocean beach, we are lucky to have two amazing lake beaches within 45 minutes from home. One is in the desert, the other the mountains. Here, let me get out of the way so you can see our desert lake better...

It's always exciting once you've entered the Paiute reservation. You've been driving for miles through the sage-covered hills but then you drive over the last little hill and it's magic: you see a turquoise gem shining amid the dry, pale brown hills. Pyramid Lake is a very spiritual place, both for the native people who live there as well as some of us visitors (except for the stupid kids who spray paint on the rocks, leave trash etc....but I digress). The Brown Pelican makes its home here and I never can get a good photo of one, but they are fun to watch flying close over the water. Pyramid Lake is really very other-worldly. And so pretty.

The other lake is definitely more well-known, Lake Tahoe. I couldn't find a basic Tahoe photo; I always have to be artsy-fartsy, taking super-close-up views. Lake Tahoe is up in the mountains, icy cold, deep blue and clear. It's always more crowded than Pyramid, but it has its charms too...

...such as my favorite milkshake and fry stand to go to after being in the sun and cold water! It always comes back to milkshakes. Sigh.

For more of the beach vacation, visit jane, ladybug-zen, ian, bonnie, esti, sophie, cele, modsquad,caitlin, joyce, ani, couturecoucou, kim, a day that is dessert, natsumi, epe, kaylovesvintage,trinsch, c.t.,jeannette, outi, schanett, ritva, dongdong, francesca, state of bliss, jennifer, dana,denise, cabrizette, bohemia girl, ruth, dianna, isabelle, amber, a girl in the yellow shoes, mister e,janis, kari, jgy, jenna, skymring, elizabeth, audrey, allison, lise, cate, mon, victoria, crescent moon, erin, otli, amy, ida, caroline, lisa, dorte, kimmie, la lune dans le ciel, nicola, malo, vanessa,britta, virgina, april, rebecca, b, kyndalesamantha, karen, kristina, angelina, dorit, goldensunfamily, sophie, janet, nicki, ruth, mcgillicutty,

22 comments:

Joyce said...

Oh you are a friend at heart- I love milkshakes and fries! Do you dip your fries into your milksake? I do! Beautiful bay of water. xoxo

Kari said...

The pictures of your Lake beaches are very pretty.
Thanks for sharing.

aimee said...

the desert against the blue lake - i love the contrast. it's beautiful!

Vanessa/NessieNoodle said...

Pyramid is an amazing gem isn't it? I love if you take Pyramid Hwy out and as you come up and over the hill BAM! there it is in all it's blue glory. takes my breath away...

Francesca said...

Sorry to read that some people all over the world don't show much respect ... Beautiful place!

Unknown said...

Oh, I just love our lakes. I think we're pretty lucky.

Anonymous said...

Nice place ! The third photo is my favorit ! Have a nice week !

Di said...

I love the lake beach! It looks almost as big as the sea and reminds us that beaches are not only at the seaside!

I just joined the Corner Week project this week and what a week to do it - all these beautiful photos of beaches! T

Daan said...

Magic, it is, a desertLake.

Kasia said...

beautiful... wish I could be there now...

Thank you for sharing,
Kasia

jane said...

the best combo ever, but it has to be chocolate! great post ani! and yes do start planning!:)

Kaylovesvintage said...

yes...looks nice..and that milkshake sound yummy

caitlin said...

Very very cool. I want to visit now! And while I'm at it I want to consume a cheeseburger, fries, and a shake! YUM!

Palmer and Co said...

Oh, I LOVE that shot of the rocks and the water!! Awesome!!

Fries dipped in a cold milkshake... yum!

Happy Day!

...Lisa

;) said...

A nice place and nice pictures !! may I have a milshake please ? ;)

Jeannette said...

Great pictures and I would love to have a swim in both lakes.
Have a great day, Jeannette

Bonnie said...

beautiful ! when i was a teenager, we used to get fries and soft serve ice cream at the pool. totally dipped 'em !!

Ani said...

thanks for all the lake love! i'm still traveling the world's beaches... :)

so, i've never tried dipping my fries in the shake. i guess i'm in for a new taste sensation!

MisterE said...

Can't beat mountain lakes and milkshakes!

Jenell said...

I've driven past Pyramid Lake on my way to Burning Man. I was just talking about the desert this weekend when I was at my California beach. My friend was very vehemently against Burning Man. Maybe if I lived there, I would feel the same? Place is so intimate....

kyndale said...

Pyramid Lake IS really spiritual. I can feel it as soon as I drive over the last hill.

Ana Cristina Abreu said...

i love this beach!!
these rocks on the sand are perfect!!