Tuesday, January 20, 2009

January 20th, 2009

I got to see the swearing in and about 85% of the speech but I missed Elizabeth Alexander reading her poem. Go read it. It's wonderful.

***

My class looks interesting. No tests (yay!) but I will have to lead a discussion at some point during the semester (BIG boo!). I bombed the presentation I gave last semester but I'm going with the assumption that the more I'm forced to do this sort of thing, the better I will become. The final project is only loosely defined, which is quite interesting. I'm already planning and scheming...quilters and community? Women in the 1920's? Women's magazines throughout the century? This could be good.

***

I can't be a monogamous knitter. Despite the big push to finish the sweater, I have cast on (3 times, as a matter of fact) for Toasty. I need some new fingerless mitts as the ones I wear are more of a light-duty fancy mitt and I want something to wear daily. In my cloudy state of sickness, I misread the pattern thinking I needed to put the thumb stitches on a holder at the beginning (I know, it seemed weird to me too, to be knitting from the fingers down). Well, I hadn't done that so I ripped it out. The next day I looked and saw I was supposed to knit 7.5 inches before the thumb. Oh. I started over and my yarn BROKE. I had only a tiny piece of yarn with which to join and in my anger, I ripped it out again. Third time's the charm, I hope.

I also purchased this little knit booklet. I had to buy it once I saw Poppy. She'll be cast on as soon as I get Toasty done.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't be a monogamous knitter either. I always have to have twelve things going on.

raining sheep said...

I am definitely not a monogamous knitter. I work on socks consistently while my sweater flounders in the back of my shelf, probably never to be resurrected.