Monday, September 14, 2009

Figgy

I bought some gorgeous figs last week at the farmer's market. They were at their prime, gently sweet and ready to pop right into my mouth (and that's exactly what I did).

This week, I didn't make the farmer's market but ended up buying more figs at the grocery with sweet memories of last week's iteration dancing through my head. Well, as you can guess, they weren't as perfect as the farmer's market version. Some were borderline smooshy and others were still hard. And of course, some were just right (but still not as sweet as last week's gems). I decided to try and do something different with them and make some jam. I've got extremely limited experience with canning so I looked up "refrigerator fig jam". I found a recipe, whipped it up within a half hour and ta da! The mediocre has turned into rosy ruby deliciousness.

Recipe found here.

9 comments:

Melissa said...

Your post makes me want to try figs! I've never had them before but they look divine in your photo.

jane said...

mmm i love figs! and your photo is yummy! besos! p.s. they eat figs here at exam time because they say that they boost your memory.

likeschocolate said...

Try them with a little blue chesse and hunny and you have the perfect dessert.

Ian said...

How delicious. Fresh figs are my favourite fruit.

Cate said...

yum! did you see chocolate and zucchini's (blog) double fig ice cream? i haven't made it, but it looks to die for.

happy september!

Anonymous said...

I've only had a fresh fig once, prepared sensationally with bacon at a restaurant. I've never had them on their own, and always want to.

A Cuban In London said...

I love figs. In fact, a good dried fruit salad made of figs, apricots, prunes and dates is what I crave after lunch today. Many thanks for the recipe, too.

Greetings from London.

Jeannette said...

Oh, I´m going to try that recipe. Yummie.
Just saw today that there are loads of them in the supermarket. I love figs and love jam. Perfect combination! ;)
♥ Jeannette

raining sheep said...

Oh, I love figs... and they are so hard to find here. My mouth is salivating. Well, I start school again in a month - I am savoring every bit of reprieve here.