Tuesday, June 01, 2010

June! Lists!

And hence began my month of list-o-mania...
I will be posting a new list every day for the month of June. I'll go easy on myself for day one.

Four books on my nightstand:

1--The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I haven't read this since I was a child and...whoa. I certainly did not understand this book when I read it at the age of eight. All I cared about then was that the children found an amazing place, hidden from the world. I'm in the last chapter (I fell asleep last night, book in hand) and that last chapter is definitely worth the price of admission.

2. The Groucho Letters by Groucho Marx. I had wanted to read this for ages (I had first heard about it here), long before the current household obsession with all things Marx. As Kidlet says, I wish the Marx brothers were alive and part of our family. He was a damned clever and funny fellow.

3. Esperanza Rising by Pam Muñoz Ryan. In my quest to start reading more children's/YA literature for my (fingers crossed) possible future post as a school librarian, I picked this up at the book store. I haven't started but it's about a family that flees Mexico, becoming California farm workers during the Depression. It's won a slew of awards and looks quite interesting.

4. Playa Works by Bill Fox. Bill Fox was a guest lecturer last semester in my 20th Century Art History class. He spoke of art as a means to find elegant solutions to environmental problems and as a reaction to these problems. Our mini library at work had this book available so I picked it up. I'll be interested to learn more about our environment here, the high desert.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh yay! Lists! I love lists!

Vanessa/NessieNoodle said...

I too have Secret Garden on my night stand. There is so much amazing double meaning in that book. I am glad I picked it back up again.
And I think my mom taught the Esperanza Rising to her HS english classes at one point. I will have to see if she has a copy.

Lovin the lists~