Wednesday, November 22, 2006

On Why I Dig Thanksgiving by Ani

The beginning...

Thanksgiving as a kid was fun, but it was merely a prelude to the Christmassy (and birthday)goodness to come. I remember watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade on T.V., wanting to be on a float or in a band, marching in the parade. The finale, when Santa comes down the street on the last float, had me glowing with excitement. Christmas! It's on its way! Holiday specials! Rudolph! Frosty! Charlie Brown! Going to the Nutcracker! You get the picture.

The Halcyon Days...

Once far removed from home, Thanksgiving didn't have much meaning. Or at least that's what I thought the first year we were in New Orleans. But every year after that first year, Thanksgiving grew in importance. It all changed when Hubby had to work and I went to a coworker's home for an "orphans'" Thanksgiving. I didn't expect much but I was gloriously suprised. Mark Bell, our host, made a turkey roulade, deboning the entire turkey, pounding it thin and then rolling up bacon and all sorts of herbs inside. Tons of food was consumed as was copious amounts of REALLY good wine. The memory of that evening is now behind a golden haze but I do remember emphatic discussions about gumbo making and tales from an Icelandic coworker who used to run around and drink homemade vodka with Bjork. Hubby came as soon as he finished working, snacked on what little was left and poured me into the car to take me home. Every year was a little different after this but Thanksgiving started to mean something more to me. I was blessed with a group of amazing friends who loved good food, fun and wine. It also didn't hurt that Thanksgiving was opening day at the New Orleans Fairgrounds racetrack. We'd go spend 20 bucks playing the ponies, watching the immaculately dressed professional bettors with their multicolored suits and pork pie hats. Oysters on the half shell. Beer. Then off to someone's home to eat and collapse in a sated heap.

Now...

Those wildly fun Thanksgivings are just happy memories now but the holiday's meaning remains. It's not just parades or food (wine). It's remembering what's good in life. I've sort of come full circle, now that I have kidlet to watch as she watches the parades and then creates her own path. Hope you have lots of good things to think about this feasting day.

No comments: