Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Next to the Bed...

I'm getting quite the library next to the bed. I've been inching my way through The Spell of the Sensuous by David Abram but there's a stack teetering on the bedside table that threatens to fall on me while I am sleeping. I am definitely under the spell of The Spell of... . This book has turned my mind inside out. Very basically, it is about how we have moved away from being a part of nature and Abrams theorizes that it is to do with our move away from being an oral culture to an alphabetic/literate one.

Awaiting my perusal...

A Modern Buddhist Bible: Essential Readings From East and West Ed. by Donald S. Lopez, Jr.
I've become very interested in Buddhism. The more I read, the more I want to know.

No Death, No Fear: Comforting Wisdom for Life Thich Nhat Hanh
I'm still having trouble coming to terms with my Dad's death (almost) two years ago. I read The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching last year and it really started to open my mind to being mindful of the cycle of life; my Dad can be found in me, he is in my daughter. I'm really looking forward to reading this one.

For the Sake of Elena Elizabeth George
I picked this one up because I heard Knitting Momma talk about her months ago and that piqued my interest.

A Walk in the Woods Bill Bryson
Hubs picked this one up for me for my bday. I love travelogues.

Field Notes from a Catastrophe: Man, Nature and Climate Change Elizabeth Kolbert
They passed this out to us at work, trying to indoctrinate us (wink, wink). I'm can't wait to check it out.


These two aren't next to my bed, but Kidlet's bed. When I can't stand to read my textbooks for school as she's trying to go to sleep, I dive into these...

Winter Hours Mary Oliver
I read the poem "Walking Home from Oak-head" in an old Utne Reader and I was sold. Love, love, love her.

Strong Is Your Hold Galway Kinnell
Another one from the Hubby for the bday. He shared the poem (that I have linked) "After Making Love We Hear Footsteps" and it haunted me. Lovely.

So, what are you reading?

3 comments:

Vanessa/NessieNoodle said...

Sounds like my nightstand... I have:
Veronica (a swap from Acumama/Acukiki)

Eat, Pray, Love (fantastic if you like travel and philosophy)

The Red Tent (fasninating and inspiring and sad- I am actually stuck at a point because I don't want to know what is next for the character.)

Taking Charge of Your Fertility (this is so AMAZING- every woman should read this book)

A pile of BBT charts (basil body temp) - do you see a theme here?-
and probably a Yoga Journal or two along iwth my journal...
oh and a Su Doku book full of unfinished puzzles :)

Anonymous said...

the only one i know that you're reading is the Bill Bryson book. I enjoyed it because the Appalachian Trail runs about 15 miles away from where i live and i grew up hiking it with my grandfather. but bryson's writing is so much fun. only thing i didn't like about it is that he totally skipped most of east tennessee (expect for garish gatlinburg) and western NC, my two favorite places.

that Eat, Pray, Love book that nessie noodle has on her list is excellent. try it!

though i'm not reading about Buddhism, i'm looking into spending a week or two at SFO zen center.

and reading? i'm between books now and have no clue what i'll turn to. but if you want recommendations....

de los Santos, Marisa. Love Walked In

Berlinski, Mischa. Fieldwork

are two good books I read lately.

Ani said...

Yay! Thanks for all the nightstand tours! It's fun hearing what people are reading.

KM--I love that we love the same stuff! It makes me happy to know I have a kindred spirit out there.

Bekka--Thanks for the recommendations! I think I'd better start reading a little faster, for if I add anything else to my stack, it's gonna crash. Ooo, zen center...that sounds wonderful.

Nessie--I remember those days well. I'll send fertile, budding, spring energy your way!