Monday, October 08, 2007

Bookin' It

A new blogging/flickr friend tagged me for this one. I do love books. Oh yes.

1. Hardcover or paperback, and why? I love to have hardbacks in my possession but in reality, paperbacks are much easier to read in bed (where I end up doing most of my reading).

2. If I were to own a book shop I would call it…hmmm, maybe "Subject, Title, Author". Or more likely, "Mojo's", named after this dog who ate more than his fair share of books.

3. My favorite quote from a book (mention the title) is…you know, this question is just too hard for me. I dog-ear corners of books to remind myself where the items of interest are but then I never go back to commit them to memory. Here's a fave bit from a post a while back that is just lovely.

4. The author (alive or diseased--umm, I really think they may have meant 'deceased' but who am I to question this) I would love to have lunch with would be …This is where interests cross. I would have to say Alice Waters. You'd be sure to have amazing food and I'd love to talk to her about her project, The Edible Schoolyard.

5. If I was going to a deserted island and could only bring one book, except from the SAS survival guide, it would be…maybe What the Buddha Taught: Revised and Expanded Edition with Texts from Suttas and Dhammapada by Walpola Rahula. I'd like to read more about Buddhism and actually have the time to really understand it.

6. I would love someone to invent a bookish gadget that….I have to agree with CSM, I need a bookholder for my bedtime reading so I can keep my arms under the covers so they don't get cold. And with my current read, Anna Karenina, it would come in really handy (it gets hefty).

7. The smell of an old book reminds me of….the deep dark cavernous basement of the University library. I would always find the most remote cubicle in which to hide away. Then instead of doing my schoolwork, I would just sort of wander into the stacks, looking for obscure treasures.

8. If I could be the lead character in a book (mention the title), it would be…Again a mix of interests, this time it's films and books. I'd want to be Nora in The Thin Man (but only if my hubby could be Nick). Or maybe Julie Child (although this is serious cheating as I never made it all the way through her biography).

9. The most overestimated book of all times is….Anna Karenina. Ha, ha...it's only because I'm in the middle of it right now and well, I didn't realize that it was originally serialized. This means there are many loooooong sections that I've been slogging through that don't move the stories along. For my taste, it would be quite good at about 450 pages.

At the risk of inciting a riot, I could say Harry Potter. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy reading them but I'm just not swept away with the fever.

10. I hate it when a book…ends. Especially when it has become one of my favorites.

Right back at'cha... Liz! Tune in a bit later for more meme-mania.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh no you didn't just tag me for this one. I'll give it a go, but I will be a sad disappointment for my lack of book reading.

Ani said...

you can take a pass. you don't always have to play the meme game!